With less than 5 weeks to go till Christmas the festivities are not far away. With Christmas cards in the shops and decorations in stores, things are hotting up for one of the busiest times of the year.
For businesses Christmas & New Year represents a number of different challenges. For working parents there is the challenge of how to manage the school holidays – especially for parents who run their own businesses. For some companies it is the busiest time of year. All hands are on deck to get orders out of the door or services delivered over the next few weeks. For others it can actually be a quieter time for their businesses, allowing them time to reflect.
Managing the challenges
Whatever your particular challenges for this time of year, here are our 5 top tips to get ready for the Christmas break and hit the ground running in 2017:
- Plan ahead. Some businesses start planning for Christmas in January! For others it can be a little last minute. But it is not too late to plan now for what you might need over the Christmas break.
- Research the options. If you need more staff, is it better to use an agency or take on temps? If you need telephone cover is it better to pay a member of staff to come in, or simply redirect your calls to a telephone answering service? Look at the options and evaluate which will work best for you and your business.
- Think about your customers. Will they need to contact you over Christmas & New Year? If so, make it clear how they can get in touch. If you feel they won’t, use your out of office message to wish them a Merry Christmas and advise them you are taking a break. We do recommend you always include an emergency contact number just in case.
- Don’t forget to think about 2017. You can just turn your phone off and ignore your emails, but do you want to spend the first week of the new year playing catch up? By planning ahead you can ensure things are managed and you are ready to start the new year on the front foot.
- Make sure you get a break. We all need a rest from work and to spend quality time with friends and family. Depending on your industry, the festive period may be the best time to do that. By having a plan in place you can rest and relax, knowing that things are being taken care of. You can then return to work refreshed and raring to go for 2017.
At Get Ahead VA we can help with Christmas & New Year planning by offering holiday cover, a telephone answering service and more. We can even organise your Christmas celebrations if you haven’t had a chance to already. Our team of highly experienced virtual assistants love to take on the tasks you don’t have time to do, don’t have the skills to do, or simply don’t want to do.
To find out more about our virtual assistant service please get in touch on 01483 332220 or visit www.getaheadva.com. We pride ourselves on being the staff you don’t see, but the difference you do.