‘Blue Monday’ is the name given to the Monday of the last full week of January each year and is said to be the most depressing day of the year. A combination of the arrival of Christmas bills, the broken New Year’s resolutions and cold, dark days is said to make Monday 19th 2015 a day to forget, not remember.
This can effect both our personal and our business lives, and if you are a small business owner then the two can be highly interconnected. But there are things you can do to keep the blues at bay and remain on the right, positive footing for the year ahead:
- Take a walk or do some exercise. Yes January has some cold, rainy days and we have even had gales and snow over the past few weeks. But January also has beautifully, clear, crisp sunny days and just a 10 minute walk outside can really lighten your mood and give you a chance to gain perspective on things.
- Put the right fuel in your body. When we are feeling down it’s easy to reach for the quick fixes of coffee, chocolate and cake but after the sugar high is over then you will be back where you started – or worse. Try and start the day with a vitamin packed smoothie or fill the office with healthy snacks like fruit and nuts. You’ll get all the energy you need – without the come down afterwards.
- Be honest with yourself. A problem shared is often a problem halved so if you are worried about things in your business or personal life then write them down or talk to someone about them. Perhaps a business coach or mentor could help, and you may find they might even be free.
- Think about the positives – just as it is important to be honest about any problems, try and write down the positives about your business or personal situation – what you have to be grateful for, and look forward to. Thinking about positive things can set us on the right road to thinking positive thoughts.
- Do something about it! It can be easy to feel overwhelmed – particularly as a business owner, but taking action can be empowering. If you can’t solve a problem yourself then find someone who can. If you see a great opportunity then don’t delay and go for it! You might be surprised at what you can achieve.
Our team of highly experienced VAs can help alleviate the burden of managing your business by taking on the tasks you don’t have time to do, don’t have the skills to do or simply don’t want to do. Please get in touch on 01483 332220 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We pride ourselves on being the staff you don’t see, but the difference you do.