Today, March 20th, is International Day of Happiness. First created in 2012, International Day of Happiness was designed by the United Nations to promote, preserve and celebrate the happiness that is in our world, despite some of the complex, interrelated challenges faced by humanity.
Sometimes running your own business can leave you feeling far from happy. Even though starting your own business may have been your lifelong dream, the reality of doing it can be a daily struggle.
As a business owner everything falls on your shoulders. You have to be accountant, sales director, marketer – sometimes even order packer or manufacturer. As well as answering the phone of course. So who can you turn to for support? Where can you go when things are getting tough?
The good news is that there is help available. So if you are a business owner, here are 5 steps to help you increase your happiness today:
- Remember why you started the business in the first place. Was it because you had always wanted to be your own boss? If so then well done – you are doing it! Was it because you wanted more flexibility to work around your family? If so then think of all those school pick-ups you have been able to do, and all those school assemblies you have enjoyed. Step back and look at the bigger picture of why you are doing running your own business and remember why that makes you happy.
- Try co-working. Some people find running their own business can be lonely – especially if you work from home or alone in an office. But you don’t have to be by yourself. Try a co-working space, or even just get down to your local coffee shop. You might find that a new environment can help you rekindle your passion for your business – as well as get your vital work done.
- Get a mentor or business coach. Mentors can be a fantastic support, enabling you to bounce ideas off someone and talk through issues. Coaches can be an excellent investment to enable you to take a step back from the day to day running of your business and see what needs to be done for you to achieve your potential.
- Get away from the desk. No one says you have to be chained to your desk to get things done. Attending a local networking meeting can enable you to meet other, like-minded people. You can gain valuable advice as well as make useful new contacts – and even find new customers. Just hearing yourself talk about your business in a positive way to others can remind you how much you have to be proud of.
- List the top three things that make you happy about your business. Stick them on your wall and look at them every day – and again if you are having a negative moment. Just like putting your goals for the year on the wall, having a physical reminder of positive thoughts can make them much more powerful. If you are struggling to come up with three then don’t be afraid to ask customers, friends or family. They can all help if you are struggling to see the wood from the trees.
If actually you just need to share the burden of running your business then hiring one of our highly experienced virtual assistants could be the answer. We love to take on the tasks you don’t have time to do, don’t have the skills to do, or simply don’t want to do.
Please get in touch on 01483 332220 or email us at email@example.com to find out more about our nationwide virtual assistant service. We pride ourselves on being the staff you don’t see, but the difference you do.